Going on Quest for Decent Music
(In a nutshell: i love music, but music is shit now; recommend good music to me.)
words
(In a nutshell: i love music, but music is shit now; recommend good music to me.)
posted by
Kevin
@
4:29 pm
Labels: bands/music
13 comments:
I don't know of any good new stuff. But there's lots of really great & obscure music-from-the-past kicking around on the music blogs. Right now I'm obsessed with the Rev. Frank Wright and Alan Silva's Celestrial Communications Orchestra. Its old, yeh, but it doesn't sound that way. And if extremist free jazz don't rock your boat, there's a nice site called experimentaletc, & it has all kinds of things.
So it's not only me, then... Didn't know you read my blog, Sean -- thanks for the help! I'll check 'em both out.
Not necessarily from 2008, but recent, and worth checking out:
Shellac -- "Excellent Italian Greyhound"
Battles -- "Mirrored". You won't stop listening to this.
Mirah and the Spectratone International -- "Share This Place"
Melvins -- "Nude with Boots" (2008) and "A Senile Animal" (2007) -- both feature Coady Willis and Jared Warren, from Big Business, as members. Willis and Dale Crover double drumming. Incredible.
Anything by Nina Nastasia, in particular "On Leaving" and "The Blackened Air"
US Maple - "Purple on Time"
Like I say, most of these are a couple of years old, but worth a listen if you haven't already.
I've gone on a random music thing recently, just buying interesting looking music from second hand shops so thes aren't the most up to date recommendations: I've been impressed by Bloc Party, mesmerised by Royksopp and totally knocked over by the Guillemots. Also discovering belatedly that Catatonia and the Cardigans are excellent. I love Ani di Franco too. There are some very good local bands in Edinburgh and some excellent alternative bands (eg Rome Burns, Dream Disciples, Cruxshadows)
John,
Long been tickled by The Melvins, but those years tell me i'm not up-to-date. As for all the others: wow, never heard of them (as far as i can recall); which rarely happens, but i guess i should get used to it now. Cheers, i'll check 'em all out.
Juliet,
Thanks! Royksopp gets a spin from me every so often.
I watched Bloc Party on TV -- playing that thing they have in Hyde Park, maybe -- and i thought they were interesting for what they are, but i don't think my curiosity went any further.
I know the name, but i can't think of anything by The Guillemots. Are they the band who do that football-yob-pandering 'duh-duh-duh, duh-duh-duh, duh-duh duh-duh-duh' song that makes me want to shove soldering irons into both of my ears?
The Cardigans were, like most bands, quite good in their day, and i definitely dig some of their stuff.
I don't own any Catatonia, but someone was playing them a while ago, and i kinda wished i did own some, if i remember rightly. Doesn't appear i rushed to it, though (i think they're a bit too pop for me), but i'll check 'em out, too.
Don't know the others; i'll do the same.
Yay!
I should add that if you like US Maple, you could do a lot worse than invest in some Shorty, the band from whose ashes US Maple were created.
"Thumb Days" is fantastic. Listen and then pick up your face. Youtube "Coopie n me" and you get the picture.
J
Hi Kevin - Guillemots - some of their music is very melodic, other pieces are very experimental and I don't know which specific song you referred to, but it doesn't really sound as though it would be them from your description, but they are very varied so you never know!
Cheers for the help, guys!
Hmmmm... Amanda Palmer from the Dresden Dolls - her solo stuff is definitely worth checking out. S'all I got!
Wouldn't consider myself much of a muso, so not much help from here, I'm afraid. The most recent thing I liked was The Avalanches, and that's pretty old...
Hey Kelly,
I remember having the 'is music dead, or is it me?' conversation with you a couple years ago. I read Amanda's blog, but i've yet to watch the videos she's put up of the solo stuff. Defo one for the list.
Barbara,
I had stuff by them back before a hard drive death -- nice suggestion!
Things are looking a little brighter; but still not so bright for music of late, it would seem.
Britney Spears. Brook Hogan. Ashlee Simpson. You CAN'T go wrong with these.
That isn't helping, Casey! But, cheers for the laugh =)
Post a Comment